Interview: Kwese Free TV's Zolile Ntukwana - TechCentral

Interview: Kwese Free TV’s Zolile Ntukwana

Zolile Ntukwana

In this episode of the podcast, Duncan McLeod interviews Econet Media group regulatory affairs executive Zolile Ntukwana about the new licensed free-to-air television provider Kwese Free TV, for which he is spokesman.

Kwese Free TV was awarded a licence from communications regulator Icasa last week to launch a free-to-air terrestrial service — the first such licence to be granted in South Africa since e.tv was licensed more than 20 years ago.

Econet Media owns 20% of Kwese Free TV, while Royal Bafokeng Metix and Mosong Capital own the remaining 80%.

In the podcast, Ntukwana explains why the consortium bid for the licence, its launch plans and the channels it intends offering.

Kwese Free TV has been given 55% of what is known as digital Mux 3 — a chunk of radio frequency spectrum that it plans to use to offer half a dozen channels, including a high-definition sports channel.

Ntukwana explains why Kwese believes there is room in the market for another terrestrial TV player, what it still has to do before it’s ready for launch and how consumers will be able to receive the broadcasts.

Don’t miss this discussion.

How to subscribe to TechCentral’s podcasts

There are many ways to enjoy TechCentral’s podcasts, beyond simply streaming them from the website. The best way is by subscribing to them using an app on your phone, allowing you to listen in the car (via Bluetooth), at the gym or wherever you happen to be. Use the links below to subscribe.

iTunes
Pocket Casts
Spotify
Stitcher
iono.fm
RSS

iTunes
Pocket Casts
Spotify
Stitcher
iono.fm

RSS

iTunes
Pocket Casts
Spotify
Stitcher
iono.fm
RSS

TechCentral podcasts are governed by a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) licence. This means you may copy and redistribute the material unmodified, but you must provide the appropriate credit to TechCentral, with a link to this page. We also ask that if you’d like to use this podcast on your website or in an electronic newsletter that you use iono.fm’s embedded player. The HTML for this episode’s embedded player is:

<iframe src=”https://embed.iono.fm/epi/671250″ width=”100%” height=”135″ frameborder=”0″><a href=”https://iono.fm/e/671250″>Content hosted by iono.fm</a></iframe>