Public protector Thuli Madonsela has decided to conduct a fresh probe into the appointment of the controversial Hlaudi Motsoeneng to the post of chief operating officer at the SABC, Business Day newspaper reported on Friday.
The investigation will look into whether Motsoeneng has the right qualifications for the job, the newspaper quotes Madonsela as saying. It will also look into the job description, how the post was advertised, and how the public broadcaster’s board reached its decision.
Earlier this week, communications minister Faith Muthambi announced that she had agreed with the board that Motsoeneng, who has acted as chief operating officer for the past two years, should be given the post permanently, in spite of a damning report by the public protector that found he lied about his qualifications to get promoted.
“After careful consideration and in the exercise of my discretion in terms of the Broadcasting Act, I have duly accepted the recommendations of the board and accordingly confirmed the appointment of Hlaudi Motsoeneng as the chief operations officer,” Muthambi said.
On Friday, DA MP Gavin Davis, the party’s spokesman on communications, welcomed the news of a new investigation by the public protector.
“There is ample prima facie evidence that the decision to appoint Motsoeneng was deeply flawed, irrational and possibly unlawful,” Davis said in a statement.
“The post was not advertised and no candidates were shortlisted and interviewed, as stipulated in the SABC’s articles of association; Motsoeneng is not in possession of the qualifications required for the post; and the decision contradicted the public protector’s report of 17 February, which was damning in its assessment of Motsoeneng’s conduct,” he said.
“Motsoeneng is bad news for every South African who values independent public broadcasting. We will keep fighting to ensure that justice and common sense prevails.” — © 2014 NewsCentral Media