The SABC has still not replied to Icasa’s ruling that it must withdraw its ban on the broadcasting of violent protest footage.
SABC spokesman Kaizer Kganyago on Wednesday said the broadcaster had sent three or four letters to communications regulator Icasa over the last week, but could not comment further as they were still in litigation.
Earlier on Wednesday, the Helen Suzman Foundation obtained an interdict in the high court in Pretoria, preventing the SABC from continuing to censor coverage of protests.
“We are busy in court against the Helen Suzman Foundation today, so I can’t comment on the Icasa reply yet,” Kganyago said.
The foundation’s application was against the SABC, its board, chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng, and communications minister Faith Muthambi.
Last Monday, Icasa ordered the SABC to withdraw its decision not to air footage of the destruction of property during protests. The SABC was given seven days, from the date of the ruling, to respond.
Icasa could not immediately be reached for comment on Wednesday.
Update: Icasa on Wednesday said the SABC has agreed to abide by the order to withdraw the ban on broadcasting violent protests. Spokesman Paseka Maleka said the broadcaster will abide by the order of its council as issued on 11 July.