The labour court on Wednesday ordered Telkom to halt its section 189 process which deals with planned retrenchments at the company.
Telkom announced last month that it plans to cut more than 4 000 jobs and outsource more than 3 000 staff.
Solidarity took Telkom to the labour court in Johannesburg this week because the trade union alleged that the telecoms company has not disclosed enough information about the job cuts to unions.
However, the judge, David Gush, on Wednesday morning ruled in favour of Solidarity.
“The first respondent (Telkom) is ordered to withdraw its [section 189] notices,” said Gush.
Gush also ordered that Telkom must pay Solidarity’s legal costs.
Marius Croucamp of Solidarity said that the labour court decision is a “victory for workers”.
Telkom had organised consultations on the restructuring with the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA) on Wednesday. However, the court has ordered that this can no longer take place.
“The CCMA [meeting] cannot proceed,” said Croucamp.
Meanwhile, Telkom spokesman Jacqui O’Sullivan said the company is disappointed with the court’s decision but will respect the ruling.
“While today is a temporary delay, it does not stop the restructuring of Telkom,” she said.
“Once the dispute is resolved, we will continue with the restructuring of Telkom,” said O’Sullivan. “The restructuring of Telkom is a business imperative,” she said. — Fin24