The appointment of MTN group executive Chris Maroleng as new chief operating officer of the SABC is not yet cut and dried, it appears.
The minister of communications, Mmamoloko Kubayi-Ngubane, said in a statement on Monday afternoon that she has “no knowledge of any official appointment”.
“The minister of communications has noted the media reports about the appointment of a chief operating officer at the SABC,” the statement said.
“The minister wishes to advise the media that all appointments of the chief operating officer, CEO and chief financial officer of state-owned entities are done through cabinet processes and therefore the announcements of the outcome are made by cabinet.”
She added that it is the minister’s responsibility to present any appointment of executives of state-owned enterprises that fall under the department of communications through cabinet processes. “To this end, the minister has no knowledge of any official appointment of a COO of SABC.”
She did not say whether she intended putting Maroleng’s name forward. It may simply mean that a formal announcement of his appointment is still to come, once it has been presented to cabinet.
TechCentral and other media outlets reported on Monday morning that Maroleng will soon be named to the key position of chief operating officer of the SABC. Sunday World first reported the news.
Maroleng, who joined MTN Group in 2014 as head of corporate affairs, is expected to replace the controversial Hlaudi Motsoeneng, who left the SABC last year under a cloud.
Maroleng declined to comment, saying he will only be in a position to talk once a formal announcement has been made by the SABC. He will take over as COO next month, Sunday World reported. — (c) 2018 NewsCentral Media