Three media companies have collectively been fined tens of millions of rand for price fixing and the fixing of trading conditions. The Competition Commission wants the firms to cough up for their “cartel conduct”.
Browsing: SABC
The government is facing potentially unpopular decisions needed to fix state companies. So far, it’s shied away from hard choices.
President Cyril Ramaphosa has signalled he doesn’t back a proposal from the struggling state-owned power utility for the government to assume a large portion of its debt.
President Cyril Ramaphosa has accepted the resignations of four board members of the financially distressed SABC, placing pressure on parliament to appoint replacements on an urgent basis.
Well, that didn’t take long. Newly appointed (tele)communications minister, Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams, has a full-blown crisis on her hands at the SABC – and it’s of her own making.
New communications minister Stella Ndabeni-Abrahams says it is in government’s interest to make sure that nobody loses their job at the SABC.
The SABC board and senior executives have told MPs that they have begun a process to consult labour unions over its intention to retrench permanent staffers and freelancers.
The Competition Commission said on Monday that the controversial channel-supply agreement between MultiChoice and the SABC, signed in 2013, amounted to a merger.
The current board and CEO of the SABC are the strongest the public broadcaster has had in at least 15 years. They should be left to get on with the job of repairing the damage caused by their predecessors.
The SABC on Wednesday set out in detail why it needs to retrench staff, with group CEO Madoda Mxakwe saying the public broadcaster is “technically insolvent”.