Telecommunications industry bosses toasted the return of Barcelona’s Mobile World Congress on Monday with an agenda to put the industry at the centre of digital development.
Next month’s Mobile World Congress in Barcelona is shaping up as an early test of how quickly the global business events industry will bounce back from the pandemic.
Mobile World Congress organisers unveiled a health and safety plan on Monday that they said would enable the gathering to go ahead in Barcelona after last year’s event was called off.
The organisers of the Mobile World Congress, the telecommunications industry’s biggest annual gathering, are postponing next year’s event to late June to make it possible to convene safely despite the Covid-19 pandemic.
The mobile industry’s trade body is cutting about a fifth of its workforce after being forced to cancel a conference that generated most of its revenue, according to a person familiar with the plan.
The organiser of the world’s biggest mobile technology conference will offer refunds or discounts to future gatherings to the tens of thousands of attendees and companies that had paid to attend February’s cancelled event.
Spain had seen no reason to cancel the event on health grounds, deputy Prime Minister and economy minister Nadia Calvino said in an interview on Thursday.
The wireless industry scrapped its biggest annual showcase after the coronavirus outbreak sparked an exodus of participants, roiling telecommunications companies just as they’re preparing to roll out new 5G services.
Intel has become the latest high-profile technology company to withdraw from upcoming trade show Mobile World Congress over concerns about the spread of coronavirus.
Chinese gadget manufacturer TCL Communication has become the latest company to scale back its presence at upcoming tech show Mobile World Congress over concerns about coronavirus.