The SABC and eMedia Investments have inked a channel carriage agreement that will see the public broadcaster supplying Openview with six television channels – SABC 1, 2 and 3 and three new channels.
Browsing: SABC
Acting minister in the presidency Khumbudzo Ntshavheni has paid tribute to Peter Matlare for his contribution to the economic development of South Africa.
The SABC wants a new tax on households introduced to fund public broadcasting and to do away with the television licence fee, which few South Africans are paying anyway.
The SABC wants a government proposal that it be required to distribute its television programming exclusively through Sentech scrapped, warning that itβs already being disadvantaged by “monopoly” pricing.
Yet another deadline set by the South African government to complete the now 10-year-overdue migration from analogue to digital terrestrial television has been allowed to slide.
Newly elected Democratic Alliance leader John Steenhuisen has appointed a new shadow cabinet, which sees Zak Mbhele named as shadow minister of communications, replacing Phumzile Van Damme.
The SABC said on Friday that it will issue notices of termination of lease agreements for its non-core properties and will sell these at an upcoming public auction.
After coming under political and union pressure, the SABC board has decided not to proceed with 400 planned job cut – needed as part of a plan to save itself from financial collapse – until at least January.
The SABC board said on Friday that a plan to retrench 400 employees as part of a restructuring to get the public broadcaster on a sustainable financial footing has been suspended for seven days.
The SABC on Wednesday said it had concluded consultations under section 189 of the Labour Relations Act and would now retrench 400 employees 200 fewer than the 600 it said previously it might have to let go.










