Cell C CEO Alan Knott-Craig suggested this week that mobile termination rates (MTRs) — the fees mobile operators charge other players to carry calls onto their networks — should be reduced further after they are cut to 40c/minute in March next year. Knott-Craig told

It’s no secret that despite having the longest-standing mobile networks on the continent, SA still has some of the highest mobile call rates in Africa. This week, Cell C went some way to correcting that when it announced it was cutting prepaid rates, and hinted

The Ekurhuleni metropolitan municipality has lifted its nearly two-month-long moratorium on the installation of new fibre-optic telecommunications infrastructure in the vast East Rand region of Gauteng. Industry body, the FTTH Council Africa, which had threatened

It is expected that smart ID cards will be in use by the next general elections, the home affairs department said on Thursday. Minister Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma said in Pretoria that by 2014 some South Africans would be using the smart cards instead of the green

Telkom and Neotel resumed their fight over local-loop unbundling (LLU) on Wednesday, with the smaller operator arguing to the Independent Communications Authority of SA (Icasa) that it is entitled to gain access to its bigger rival’s last-mile network into

Alan Knott-Craig, installed as Cell C’s new CEO on 1 April, is wasting no time in taking the fight to the operator’s bigger rivals, MTN and Vodacom. Just days after cutting the cost of broadband as part of new promotional offers, Cell C has now slashed the cost of

Cell C and Vodacom both slashed their prepaid rates on Wednesday, but MTN appears unwilling to be drawn into the unfolding price war, saying its rates are already the most affordable in the market, even compared to latest cuts from its competitors. Vodacom is offering

Apple is set to release a major update to its cloud service, iCloud, that will include new features for sharing images and may be positioned to compete with Instagram, the social photography service that was recently acquired by Facebook for US$1bn in cash

Four months after establishing a local office, Taiwanese smartphone manufacturer HTC is promising to ramp up the marketing and distribution of its products in SA, with a focus on its new One-series range of devices. Jon French, HTC’s vice-president for sales operations

Telkom is inching closer to a deal to sell 20% of its equity to Korea’s KT Corp. Though the foreign direct investment in SA’s economy should be welcomed, there are potential pitfalls government must be careful to avoid. Last week, Telkom announced to