There was no strike at present at the SA Post Office but operations had been disrupted, the Post Office said on Wednesday.
SA Post Office chief operating officer John Wentzel said that while the strike action was definitely over, four centres were not operating normally. This was due to employees at the centres being threatened with violence and damage to property by “certain individuals”, Wentzel said.
The centres affected were Tshwane, Witspos, Germiston and Krugersdorp. “A number of incidents occurred overnight and into today [Wednesday] involving threats of violence and there was damage to property at these centres.
“Workers were also prevented from entering these centres and to assure their safety and the safety of customers, we closed the centres.”
He said the developments had been a surprise. “We have an agreement with the Communication Workers Union. These acts are against the spirit of the agreement as we could never condone threats of violence or damage to property.”
Though the damage had not yet been quantified, the acts of damage to property were “criminal acts.”
Though the incidents were confined to Gauteng and though an overwhelming majority of staff had taken note of the agreement with the union, Wentzel said that there would, however, be an effect on operations.
“We are seeking an urgent court interdit to stop these individuals from continuing with their actions,” Wentzel added.
Union spokesman Gallant Roberts could not be reached for comment.
Both the union and the Post Office said on Friday that the eight-day strike had ended following an agreement. — Sapa