The drive is on to give the poor in rural areas access to communication services, communications minister Dina Pule said on Tuesday. “Our aim is to bridge the rural-urban divide by 2020 with the help of the state-owned enterprises, such as [state-owned signal distributor] Sentech and the Universal Service
Browsing: SABC
The SABC has suspended its acting chief technology officer, Gelfand Kausiyo, due to what it calls “allegations of misconduct”. Kausiyo has been acting in the position since November, having been appointed to the post following the resignation of Richard Waghorn as head of the crucial portfolio late last
The dispute over Screamer Telecommunications’ alleged unlawful use of radio frequency spectrum owned by state-owned broadcasting signal distributor Sentech is finally coming to a head, with the complaints and compliance committee of the Independent Communications
The SABC’s chief technology officer, Richard Waghorn, who was responsible for leading the broadcaster’s migration from analogue to digital terrestrial television and who has played a pivotal role in the country’s move to the new system, has resigned. He leaves the
Mobile TV, the company looking to take radio and TV broadcasts to mobile devices in SA and challenge DStv Mobile in the process, has been running trials of Korea’s digital multimedia broadcasting (DMB) standard since late last year. TechCentral’s
The Universal Service and Access Fund was established to bankroll projects that ensure universal access to communications technology for all SA citizens. Instead, a large part of it — if not all of it — is being earmarked for keeping the public watching television
Communications minister Roy Padayachie has provided a little more clarity on government’s thinking about digital terrestrial television and what it would like to see happening once broadcasters switch off their analogue signals freeing up
The SABC board might need government assistance to deal with retrenchment at the public broadcaster, SABC news reported on Tuesday. Board chairman Ben Ngubane told parliament’s portfolio committee on communication that head count was high. “We need
The former acting CEO of the SABC, Robin Nicholson, has issued a summons against the public broadcaster and is claiming R2,8m, plus interest and the cost of his lawsuit, after he was ousted last month. The claim includes R1,5m in
Sentech’s failure to better encrypt its signal to prevent pirate viewing in Botswana, is damaging business for e.tv’s sister channel, the high court in Johannesburg heard on Thursday. Representing eBotswana, advocate Steven Budlender










