Browsing: News

All the latest technology news from South Africa and around the world.

With just a day left before mobile operators are forced to switch off customers that haven’t registered their Sim cards, only Telkom’s 8ta has completed the process. Deputy communications minister Obed Bapela said on Wednesday

Vodacom was the biggest brand spender on television advertising for the first four months of 2011, according to Ornico’s MediaTrac, which collects and analyses advertisements and brand publicity. Mobile operators spent “well over”

The long-running saga of Multi-Links, Telkom’s disastrous Nigerian investment, may finally be drawing to a close. The JSE-listed fixed-line operator has signed an agreement to sell Multi-Links to an affiliate company of Helios Towers

IT billionaire Robert Gumede, who is a substantial investor in JSE-listed IT group Gijima, and his long-time friend and business partner, Ivor Ichikowitz of defence and armaments group Paramount, have pulled the plug on their plan to

Despite turning in a R16,9m loss in the financial year to 28 February 2011 and facing a R30m lawsuit from MTN, JSE-listed telecommunications specialist Huge Group says it is confident it will survive the

Naspers MD Koos Bekker has lamented the lack of broadband in SA, describing it as a “tragic story” created by a decade of poor regulation. Speaking on Talk Radio 702’s The Money Show with Bruce Whitfield on Monday evening, Bekker

iBurst plans to offer broadband in rural areas in partnership with municipal councils. CEO Thami Mtshali says the company, which he says has turned the corner after a disastrous billing problem that lost it many customers, has identified

Telkom has finally provided details about its planned cuts in local call rates. The company published its annual tariff filing last week, announcing that local call rates were coming down, but didn’t provide details of by how much they would

Greenpeace activists dumped three trucks of coal in front of the headquarters of Eskom on Monday to protest what they called its lack of commitment to green energy. Activists from the global environmental organisation paraded in front of the five tonnes of

One of SA’s largest listed IT companies, Gijima, on Monday withdrew a cautionary statement that it was involved in discussions that could have had an effect on its share price. All discussions have been “terminated”. Rumours have circulated in recent weeks that