Browsing: News

All the latest technology news from South Africa and around the world.

Sipho Maseko is Telkom’s new group CEO and will take over from outgoing CEO Nombulelo Moholi next week, TechCentral has been told by three separate sources with ties to the telecommunications operator. An announcement about his appointment may be made as soon as this afternoon

The supreme court of appeal has handed down a judgment in favour of Nasdaq- and JSE-listed payments specialist Net1 UEPS Technologies, dealing a blow to Absa and its AllPay unit, which had earlier won a high court battle over the R10bn government tender for the payment of social grants. Absa claimed

Vodacom has hired a top expert in electronic payments and financial services to head its mobile commerce division. The telecommunications operator has appointed Herman Singh, formerly head of Standard Bank’s innovation arm, Beyond Payments, as its managing executive for mobile commerce. Singh

The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa) remains one councillor short after Rubben Mohlaloga, the person named for the position by communications minister Dina Pule, was charged with fraud late last year. Nevetheless, Icasa says it is able to function effectively

Vodacom is taking direct aim at its biggest rival, MTN, announcing a new prepaid tariff plan, Anytime Per Second, on Tuesday that competes head-on with MTN’s One Rate plan. MTN recently cut the price of its One Rate calling plan from R1,75/minute

The crippling effect of an illegal strike by postal workers is easing, the Post Office said on Tuesday, adding that it expects to clear the remainder of the backlog in undelivered mail “within a few working days”. The Post Office says the strike at its two main mail-sorting centres

A family trust controlled by Pinnacle Technology Holdings CEO Arnold Fourie has sold R33m worth of the company’s shares. Pinnacle announced on Tuesday that the Carmen Fourie Family Trust had offloaded 1,5m shares at a price of R22/share. At the end of the

Seacom has restored services for most of its customers across Southern Africa and East Africa, it said on Tuesday. This comes four days after several cable systems, including Seacom’s, were cut in the Mediterranean Sea. The company, whose cable system runs from

Altron and subsidiary Altech both cautioned their shareholders within moments of one another on Friday that they were in talks that could have an impact on the share prices of the two companies. The move has ignited speculation that Altron could have another go at delisting Altech, which

Telkom and the Competition Commission have dropped their separate applications to the competition appeal court related to last year’s decision by the Competition Tribunal to hand down a R449m fine on the telecommunications operator for past anticompetitive abuses. Competition Commission