Each year around this time, Barcelona plays host to the Mobile World Congress, the biggest annual event for the world’s mobile communications industry. In addition to usual product announcement from many of the big-name manufacturers, the buzz this year was around mobile
Browsing: News
All the latest technology news from South Africa and around the world.
MTN is joining South Africa’s escalating prepaid price war, taking an axe to its One Rate plan, cutting prices from R1,75/minute to R1,20/minute, or 2c/second, on per-second billing to all networks day or night. The new tariff, which will
Just hours after MTN announced it was slashing prepaid rates on its One Rate prepaid plan, Telkom’s mobile operator, 8ta, has joined the price-cutting frenzy with new rates that it claims undercut all of its rivals. The moves by the two operators
Eskom has been granted an 8%/year electricity tariff hike for the next five years, significantly below the 16% it was seeking, the National Energy Regulator of SA (Nersa) said on Thursday. The power utility quickly spoke out against Nersa’s decision, saying the the approved tariff hike will
Parliament’s joint committee on ethics and members’ interests has launched a formal probe into allegations of a conflict of interest involving communications minister Dina Pule and last May’s ICT Indaba in Cape Town. The committee, which is chaired
The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa) has hinted that on-network calling plans such as the one recently launched by Vodacom could be anticompetitive and may require regulatory intervention. Big operators often take advantage of their
The Square Kilometre Array (SKA) and MeerKAT radio telescope projects have been allocated R1,9bn over the next three years, according to the 2013 national budget tabled by finance minister Pravin Gordhan on Wednesday. A large portion of the international SKA project
The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (Icasa) said on Wednesday that it sees “no reason” why mobile termination rates, the wholesale fees operators charge to carry calls between their networks, should not fall to between 15c and 25c/minute from the 40c they will
After repeated delays, communications minister Dina Pule says the options for Telkom’s future are being finalised in consultation with the telecommunications operator’s board. Pule put options to cabinet last year but these were returned following recent board changes that saw Jabu
The Independent Communications Authority South Africa (Icasa) has turned down a request from mobile operator Cell C to postpone this Friday’s planned reduction in mobile termination rates, saying the cuts are part of a regulatory process that can’t be suspended. Cell C wanted










