Browsing: News

All the latest technology news from South Africa and around the world.

Botswana has switched on digital terrestrial television, beating South Africa, its big neighbour to the south, to launch digital broadcasts. However, unlike most other countries in the region, Botswana has opted for a Japanese standard for its roll-out. South Africa spent a year working with its

Mobile TV, the company hoping to introduce mobile television services in South Africa using Korea’s digital multimedia broadcasting (DMB) standard, believes there will be substantial demand for its services. But rival Kagiso Media is less convinced. The company wants to offer

Mobile broadband is the primary way South Africans get online because of affordability and speed, but the comparative “instability” of mobile offerings next to fixed lines could harm the economy, according to new report by Research ICT Africa. Mobile broadband

Democratic Alliance MP Marian Shinn has called on the SABC to provide clarity on the business case for its planned 24-hour news channel. The channel will be carried on DStv, owned by Naspers’s MultiChoice. Shinn says this is necessary given that she claims

Finance minister Pravin Gordhan has previously slapped down plans by the SABC for a 24-hour news channel, saying “this is not the time for vanity projects”, but that has not stopped the public broadcaster steaming ahead to the launch of its satellite project on 1 August

The Competition Commission has approved the proposed acquisition of Independent News & Media South Africa by Sekunjalo Independent Media, it was announced on Sunday. The final transfer of ownership was expected to be completed on 15 August, Independent South Africa CEO Tony Howard said in a statement. The approval of the deal was subject

Telkom has hit back at allegations levelled against it by Solidarity spokesman Marius Croucamp, providing information it says shows that the trade union made false statements in a media interview on Thursday. Croucamp told TechCentral that Telkom CEO Sipho

Altech’s minority shareholders on Friday gave the nod to Altron to buy them out. The move has cleared the way for Altron to terminate Altech’s listing on the stock exchange in Johannesburg. Altron already holds 61% of Altech. It’s the second attempt in six years by Altron, which

Telkom chief financial officer Jacques Schindehütte has joined the company’s CEO, Sipho Maseko, and chairman, Jabu Mabuza, in snapping up shares in the telecommunications operator. The company notified shareholders on Friday that Schindehütte had bought

The directorate of the Advertising Standards Authority has found in MTN’s favour in a complaint about advertisements by rival Cell C that the larger operator said were disparaging towards its brand. The campaign in question involves Cell C’s 99 Cents for Real radio and