Browsing: News

All the latest technology news from South Africa and around the world.

Foreign exchange losses are set to depress Mustek’s earnings in the six months to 31 December 2012, despite a more than 20% increase in sales in the period compared to a year ago. The JSE-listed technology distributor expects headline earnings per share to be between 55% and 65% lower than headline earnings of 36,2cc/share a year

In closing arguments on Wednesday at the Competition Tribunal’s hearings into Telkom’s alleged anticompetitive practices, Competition Commission legal counsel Adv Martin Brassey said Telkom had fought the case at every opportunity and deserved a severe penalty. Brassey said the tribunal should

Gugu Duda has been appointed as the new chief financial officer of the SABC, communications minister Dina Pule announced on Wednesday. “Ms Duda has the relevant qualifications, skills, capabilities and experience required for the position,” the communications ministry said in a statement. She would take up the

American Tower Corporation (ATC), the company that acquired Cell C’s base station infrastructure last year in a R430m deal, has begun building its own mobile telecommunications towers from scratch in areas where operators have poor coverage. ATC SA CEO Pieter Nel says the company has just completed

After an 11-year partnership, Hitachi Data Systems (HDS) has completed it acquisition of data centre company Shoden Data Systems. Shoden’s management team will remain unchanged and it will retain autonomy in terms of strategy and decision making. HDS hopes the deal will give it a foothold in Africa

First National Bank (FNB) has become the first SA bank to allow personal financial management start-up 22seven access to its customers’ accounts, albeit on a limited basis. The move stands in stark contrast to FNB rival Absa, which has blocked 22seven — specifically its US technology partner Yodlee

Telkom came under fire on Monday as the Competition Tribunal hearing into alleged anticompetitive conduct by the telecommunications company resumed for closing arguments. SA’s fixed-line operator stands accused of abusing its dominance by charging excessive prices; refusing access to an essential facility

Stellenbosch-based social networking company MXit has a one-year window of opportunity to improve and expand its products and services if it’s going to fend off an onslaught of rival services like instant-messaging application WhatsApp, says its new CEO, Alan Knott-Craig. “The main risk

State-owned broadcast signal distribution company Sentech has lost a high court battle with e.tv sister company eBotswana over the piracy of television signals in Botswana. This follows an application by eBotswana to the high court in Johannesburg against Sentech over the latter’s alleged failure to secure

The Competition Tribunal will spend up to three days next week hearing closing arguments in the case between Telkom and the Competition Commission over allegations the operator abused its monopoly position, in the process harming competition in the sector. The hearings took