JSE-listed telecommunications group MTN is expecting a solid improvement in headline earnings in the six months ended 30 June 2013, helped along by a sharp fall in the value of the rand. The group told shareholders on Thursday morning that
Browsing: MTN
Telecommunications group MTN has named Sérigne Dioum as its head of mobile financial services. Dioum was previously chief marketing officer at MTN’s operation in Cote d’Ivoire. He takes on the new role in September. “Dioum’s appointment comes as MTN renews
The directorate of the Advertising Standards Authority has found in MTN’s favour in a complaint about advertisements by rival Cell C that the larger operator said were disparaging towards its brand. The campaign in question involves Cell C’s 99 Cents for Real radio and
From the Northcliff water tower, you have a 360-degree view of Johannesburg. On a clear day, you can see all the way out to the Magaliesberg. The skyline landmark teeters on what was once called Aasvöelkop, the ridge where Matabeleland founder Mzilikazi stood before he headed north to Zimbabwe
Telecommunications group MTN has announced a major shake-up of executive responsibilities, with a series of new senior appointments at group level and at its key operations in South Africa, Nigeria and Ghana. MTN Ghana CEO Michael Ikpoki has been named as
MTN was trading nearly 3% lower in midmorning trading on the JSE on Tuesday after dropping a bombshell on Monday…
MTN chief financial officer Nazir Patel has resigned from the telecommunications group’s board “with immediate effect” amid “certain allegations” made against him. The allegations, the details of which have not been disclosed, are the subject of an ongoing investigation commissioned by MTN, the group said in a short statement to
Reductions in mobile termination rates, the fees operators charge each other to carry calls between their networks, has had a direct impact on the retail price of prepaid telephony in South Africa, but tariffs are still far higher than elsewhere in Africa and further big cuts are needed
Mobile operator Cell C has held discussions with Telkom about opportunities to consolidate South Africa’s mobile phone industry, CEO Alan Knott-Craig revealed in a radio interview on Thursday (full audio transcript below). In response to a question from Talk Radio 702 host Stephen Grootes about whether
South Africa is too small a market to accommodate four mobile operators, Cell C CEO Alan Knott-Craig told journalists on Wednesday. Replying at a media conference to a question from TechCentral, Knott-Craig said: “I think it’s too late for four. Maybe [it made sense] five or seven years ago [but] after 20









